A 6-team Conference Training Activity brought to you by Northgate Training Activities
This six-team version conference activity is designed for smaller groups of up to 36 people. The game with the WOW factor! Ideal for Conferences, Eldorado! Provides a strong message about cooperation at work and seeing the bigger picture.
- Remind groups to look at the bigger picture – their organization
- Highlight the importance of working together in one big team
- Expose the abuse of trust, honesty, integrity and ethics
- Demonstrate the importance of sharing knowledge and information
- Unify all participants and create high energy
Participants: 24-60 (6-10 teams of 4-6 per team)
Timing: 1.5 hours + debrief
How to Play
First, you'll need to gather the Treasure of Eldorado. This can be what you choose but participants are normally more than happy to contribute $1 each – some organizations insist on more! The treasure eventually goes to the winner – if there is one. If not, it goes to a charity of the group's choice.
Each team receives a Folder containing a team brief, a riddle, some clues, six tasks and a treasure map. All teams need to do is solve the tasks, locate the position of the treasure on the map and find the right key to open the chest.
What it does
It's all to do with teamwork versus rivalry. What becomes clear is that most organisations fail to create a truly cooperative atmosphere in which teams can trust each other and function effectively. Instead they create inter-departmental rivalry, suspicion and competition where there is a reluctance to share information and resources and a tendency for departments to win for themselves – even at the expense of the organisation as a whole.
In our experience...
On one occasion seven teams joined together and even though time was running out and the prize was slipping away, they were unable to convince the other three teams to join them and share information. On another occasion, teams were told at the start that the secret of the activity was to cooperate – one team even drew up a protocol for all teams to sign. But lack of trust, an unwillingness to share and more than a dash of competitive spirit spelled disaster! One senior delegate even ate the clue sheet because if she couldn't win – no-one else would! This is one of our most successful exercises ever. It's revealing, it's very easy to use and it can handle large groups of people. Try it yourself – and check out the team temperature in your workplace – if you dare!
Includes re-printable originals for using over and over again.
- Divide participants into teams.
- Issue Team Folders.
- Stand by with supplies of coloured card, flagpoles, sticky tape & scissors (all provided), to issue to teams as soon as they have solved a riddle.
- Observe the teams in action and wait for a team or multi-teams to come to you with all the answers.
- After 90 minutes, stop the activity.
- Lead a Debrief highlighting the learning points.
- Full guidance is provided in the Trainer's Notes.
- Trainer's Notes
- Team Folders
- Treasure Maps
- Clues & Tasks
- Flag-making Equipment
- Assessment Forms
View video clip DEMO below!
Eldorado! is designed by Northgate Training Activities