Help people get to know each other. After all, the most compelling reason for an ice-breaker is to create a stress-free environment, optimized for learning. These 6" Thumballs offer a range of get to know you options.
The Session Openers Thumballs offers somewhat deeper prompts that explore players' motivations, goals for the event or session that lies ahead. It also offers a handful of tips that let individuals share insight into what makes them tick.
Toss the ball and ask recipients to share their reaction to whatever prompt lies under their thumb. Thumball is a soft 6" stuffed ball with loads of applications!
SESSION OPENER THUMBALL PROMPTS
The prompts on the Session Opener Thumball are intended to build relationships and tease out session goals, so that facilitators can get their learning sessions off to a good start. To this end, prompts primarily cover these three categories:
- Getting to Know You - dreams, peeves, wishes, decisions, frustrations, talents
- Learning Styles - best teachers, preferred learning methods, learning goals
- Work Styles - proudest accomplishments, creative contributions, strengths
** TIPS & Facilitation Suggestions **
Choose when to use it: Customers say, "This is one of the best session starters ever, because I can relate it to my content!" As an open-ended exercise, it's a perfect conversation starter for icebreakers, energizers, team building, lesson reinforcement and more.
Explain: Let your group know that you see the Session Openers Thumball as an opportunity to learn more about ourselves and each other. Help those who dislike icebreakers to understand that the Thumball will help them:
- Understand who else is participating (if they don't already know each other)
- Uncover goals and expectations for the day
- Surface concerns about the material or other issues that may be distracting them
How to play:
Take turns circulating the Thumball by passing, rolling, tossing and catching. Ask recipients to respond to the prompt under their right thumb.
If you want to kick it up a notch, try these creative twists:
- Specify that answers should relate specifically to personal and workplace experiences.
- Ask players to anticipate what answer will be given by another player.
- Have players recall answers given by previous responders, before adding their own answer.
- Ask first recipient to select an answer panel to which all players must respond or contribute.
- Survey players on several question panels, then create charts or graphs that
reflect the cumulative responses.
©Trainers Warehouse – Trainers Warehouse holds the copyright for this set of questions. Reproductions cannot be made without express approval.
This Thumball is part of Trainers Warehouse's exclusive Silver Series Thumballs.