The Happy Manifesto, with its 10 core principles, is a wonderful resource for managers who want to transform productivity, loyalty and innovation within their organizations.
Imagine a workplace where people are energized and motivated by being in control of the work they do. Where they are trusted and given freedom, within clear guidelines, to decide how to achieve their results. Imagine they are able to get the life balance they want. A workplace where they are valued according to the work they do, rather than the number of hours they spend at their desk. Wouldn't you want to work there?
The Happy Manifesto is packed with examples and practical advice, featuring ten core principles for creating happier, more engaging places to work:
- Trust Your People - Step out of approval. Instead pre-approve and focus on supporting your people.
- Make Your People Feel Good - Make this the focus of management.
- Give Freedom within Clear Guidelines - People want to know what is expected of them. But they want freedom to find the best way to achieve their goals.
- Be Open and Transparent - More information means more people can take responsibility.
- Recruit for Attitude, Train for Skill
- Celebrate Mistakes - Create a truly no-blame culture.
- Community: Create Mutual Benefit - Have a positive impact on the world and build your organisation too
- Love Work, Get a Life - The world, and your job, needs you well rested, well nourished and well supported.
- Select Managers Who are Good at Managing - Make sure your people are supported by somebody who is good at doing that, and find other routes for those whose strengths are elsewhere. Even better, allow people to choose their managers.
- Play to Your Strengths - Make sure your people spend most of their time doing what they are best at.
Paperback, 145 pages.
Author: Henry Stewart